- Bio-Data form. DOWNLOAD
POSITION OF DIRECTOR-GENERAL – REF. NEMA/HR/DG/001/2020
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA), established under the Environmental Management and Co-ordination Act (EMCA) No. 8 of 1999 is mandated to exercise general supervision and co-ordination over all matters relating to the environment in Kenya and to be the Principal Instrument of Government in the implementation of all policies relating to the environment.
The NEMA Board is seeking to recruit a competent and visionary leader of good professional and ethical standing to fill the position of Director-General.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Director-General is the Chief Executive Officer and Secretary to the Board of Directors, is responsible for overseeing all the strategic, operational and financial performance of the Authority, including the effective management of the executive leadership team.
The Director-General’s responsibilities will amongst others, be the following: -
- Providing overall day to day leadership and administration of the operations of the Authority;
- Overseeing preparation and implementation of the performance contract for the Authority;
- Ensuring coordinated implementation, effective monitoring and enforcement of environmental management policies, laws and programs;
- Developing and recommending to the Board; strategies, policies, work plans and budgets of the Authority and ensuring their implementation;
- Providing technical advice to the Board and the Ministry of Environment and Forestry on emerging environmental challenges and issues requiring policy intervention;
- Managing and coordinating external relations in terms of policy outreach to Lead Agencies, County Governments, other Governments, International Agencies, Private Sector and NGOs in liaison with the parent Ministry; and
- Ensuring quality service, cost effective management of resources and promoting institutional accountability.
To be appointed to this position, a candidate must possess the following:
- A Bachelors degree from a recognized University in the fields of Environmental Law, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management or a relevant social science;
- At least a Master’s degree from a recognized University in the fields of Environmental Law, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management or a relevant social science;
- At least fifteen (15) years working experience in the relevant field, five (5) of which must be at a senior managerial level; and
- A Management and Leadership training, lasting at least four weeks, from a recognized institution.
In addition to the above, a candidate is expected to:
- Fulfill the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya.
- Be conversant with Government financial and procurement regulations and procedures.
- Be conversant with the national, regional and global trends in environment.
- Demonstrate potential to plan, develop and implement environmental programmes as well as develop institutional linkages.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, communication skills, highest ethical standards, integrity, professionalism and managerial competence.
- Demonstrate ability to lead and motivate team members to deliver on high performance targets.
Terms of Service and Remuneration
NEMA offers a competitive remuneration package in line with Public Service guidelines. The appointment will be for a contractual period of four (4) years, renewable once for a similar period subject to satisfactory performance and delivery of set performance targets.
How to apply
Interested and eligible candidates should:
- Download and complete the Bio-data Form which is available online at DOWNLOAD
- Submit an application letter attaching the following:
- Completed Bio-data Form
- CV with full details of education and professional qualifications indicating names and contacts of three referees.
- Copies of academic certificates and transcripts, professional certifications and testimonials.
- Valid clearance certificates as listed below:
- Tax compliance certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Clearance certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Clearance certificate from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance Certificate of Good Conduct from Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI)
- Clearance certificate from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to submit
- Email Applications
- Hand delivered and posted applications
Hand delivered or posted applications, as appropriate, should be submitted in a sealed envelope marked REF: NEMA/HR/DG/001/2020 to;
The Board Chairman
National Environment Management Authority
1st Floor, NEMA Headquarters
Popo Road, Off Mombasa Road
PO. Box 67839 – 00200, NAIROBI
All applications should be received by 5 p.m. on Monday, 10th February, 2020.
NEMA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality. Any form of Canvasing by any candidate will lead to automatic disqualification.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.