Environmental Capacity Building
NEMA offers knowledge and skills support to all stakeholders on environmental conservation with special emphasis on environmental policies and laws in Kenya. The website allows us to extend our services and resources to the wider Kenyan community. This site is particularly useful to learning institutions that wish to train/teach on environmental issues.
On this site you will find information about the NEMA capacity building programe, its staff, its services and courses. These include short courses offered, and our online publications.
If you are a commencing learner, or considering studying online using our resources, visit First Steps, a Beginners Guide to Studying at NEMA – a great online resource.
We invite you to visit us at NEMA Headquarters Nairobi for more information.
NEMA through the Minister or Environment and Mineral Resources has gazetted several regulations to operationalise EMCA (1999). These regulations provide specific activities to be undertaken to help developers to protect the environment as they carry out their activities.
The workshops provide proponents with updated knowledge and skills on new requirements by NEMA to ensure clean and healthy environment. The training sessions is done using a problem solving and critical approach and incorporates field visits to establishments that demonstrate best environmental practices. The list of courses available is provided below.
- EMCA (1999)
- Waste Management Regulations
- Environmental Incident Management
- Biodiversity and Benefit Sharing
- Ozone Depleting Substances
- Water Quality Regulations
- Development of Environmental Awareness Materials
- Environmental Inspection
- Air Quality Regulations
- Noise Pollution Regulations
- Education for Sustainable Development
- Environmental Committees (PECs and DECs) Induction Course
- Environmental Prosecution
- Environmental Risk Management
- Strategic Environmental Management
- NEMA Staff Induction Course
- Environmental Journalism
- Environmental Auditing
- Environmental economic Instruments
NEMA in consultation with relevant stakeholders developed the EIA/EA training curriculum in 2004 to guide training by all providers. Capacity development is a key requirement before one seeks registration as an EIA expert. A standardized curriculum from NEMA ensures that high quality standard of EIA/EA studies are done and this makes processing of EIAs easier and faster.
Learning institutions are expected to apply to NEMA to be authorized to offer EIA training. The following conditions must be fulfilled by the applying institutions.
- Be a recognized training institution by Ministry of Education or the Directorate of Technical Training
- Possess qualified staff
- Demonstrate capacity in terms of training infrastructure
- Pay Kshs. 20,000 as fee for using the NEMA curriculum.
List of Institutions training EIA